Announcing the first ever NMC Composition Competition!
This competition will feature one NMC ensemble performing and recording original or existing works of approximately 5-12 minutes duration each by three NMC composers, including a live concert in early December 2022 for the NMC community and open to the public.
Both the ensemble and the winning composers will each receive an honorarium of $300 per person, with an additional $100 going to the ensemble member panelist and the composer whose piece is chosen as “fan favorite” at the event. Details and timeline below:
Ensembles: apply here by July 15: https://forms.gle/F3jsNBXUQYfTq31s5
Composers: apply here between August 10 and September 10:
• July 15: deadline to apply for NMC ensembles
• August 10: NMC participating ensemble announced, NMC composers open to submit works
• September 10: deadline for NMC composers to submit scores
• September 17-24: Composer winners announced and given opportunity to write new piece
• November 1: new pieces (if written) due to performers
• December (exact date TBD): live event
• All applicants (performers and composers) must be members in good standing of NMC at the time they make their application to the competition.
• There are no fees for applying as either composer or performer.
• The jury for both the NMC ensemble and composers selections will be revealed at the end of competition.
• Members of the board of NMC or jury for the competition may not submit their own compositions for consideration.
• With the exception of an NMC ensemble member panelist for the jury, no members of the board of NMC or jury of the competition will be compensated for their affiliation with the competition or event.
• Ensembles: only NMC member ensembles may apply. The competition jury will consider groups of any size, but the competition is only able to compensate up to 4 members of an ensemble. Ensembles will have the opportunity to perform a selection of their own works at the December competition live event, as approved by the panel for the competition.
• Composers: only NMC member composers may apply. Composers may submit 1-3 existing works of 5-12 minutes in length that are for the instrumentation or subset of the winning ensemble: clarinet, violin, cello, & piano
• Winning composers will have the option to write an original work for the winning ensemble if they desire, though no additional money is provided to do so.
Please write firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the competition rules, timeline, or events! Looking forward to seeing what the community has to offer.